Life as a falconer, insect systematist, and double Masters Student (or a look into the mind of someone who is questionably sane).

22 October 2006

Good times in Heep and beyond

Not much happened at the begining of the week. In lab on wensday we watched a cool video on bugs. The best part though was of the 6 or so questions we were suppose to learn from the movie i already new 5 of them so basicly i just got to watch the movie- lots of cool footage of flying bugs etc. Thursday evening was spent at the Undergraduate Ento Student Org. We had wings for dinner along with chips (restock the chip supply incuding some plain chips for woolley who after eating all the cooler ranch doritoes I had in my hand when I entered his office then complaining about the lack of normal chips) then listened to maggie talk about Southwest branch of ento society of america meeting in Feb. Woolley did his dominica presenation it started off like the normal one but the last few slides were of me and JAC doing random stuff. He started with the sleeping on the porch picture then had ones of us collecting etc. It was rather amusing. The best though was when I needed a pen to write down a friend of mine's number. I didnt have one so asked woolley if he had one. He did but it was the blue fountian pen that i'm not allowed to use so he had to write it for me. Maybe one day ill be able to use a fountain pen. After the meeting cammack, patricia, and I went up to my office and hung around until about 10. Then I went downstairs to check on my Abachrysa larva. Didn't quite make it that far. Ran into Josh and David talking in the enterance to collections. So of course I joined in. 4 hours later we had covered everything from martial arts to fencing to french cooking (david was a banquet chef in his previous life aka before grad school), to novels, to movies and everything in between. Typical thursday. By then maria found me and I took her home then had to come back up to feed my bugs. Well got side tracked again and ended up talking to david for another 30 min or so. Turns out he lived in slodotna for a while back in the day. So we were talking about Alaska- we were talking about Homer for some reason and turns out he use to eat at Addys Paddys and the pizza place. Small world. Finally got my bugs fed then home a bit before 4am. Friday started way to early, had to be at home depot by 7 so we could go on a field trip. We were suppose to be doing a rx burn, but it was so wet we couldnt get the fire to carry. Got to play with the drip torch some though so that made my day. Had fun being sarcastic about the fire and how we were doing it with a couple other guys who had been on burn crews also. Lunch was excellent, the land owner made these great sandwitches, it was exciting. We just talked about various beers, got a few new ones i'd like to try. Got back to A&M shorly before 3 and went to wharton's lab. I was hoping to catch yoder or jacques so i could go to the quantatiative phylogenetics discussion group with computer science, but no luck. Ended up screwing around with aubrey and cammack. We decided to make a height chart for the lab, I had no idea I was a couple inches taller than aubrey. Mika came in and she got measured. Couldnt get wharton to get on board though, too bad. Next it was over to collections, did some work then started talking about fogging plans with josh. Turned into a 4 hour conversation as expected. Aubrey showed up an hour or so into it and the 3 of us had a great time planing fogging possibilities then switched over to the normal random topics we talk about. Guatemala is going to be a ton of fun, wish we were going this week instead of in 2.5months. O well. Daisy and Stephen were having game night so I went over there for the normal fun. Daisy made dinner which was excellent as usual then we watched TV. They've got cable so we watched that and figured wed play games later. Saturday was quite an abnormal day. Woke up went to range dept, then loaded up in the vans for a collecting tirp to san marcos and new bramfields area. I was in Beckys van but i fell asleep a few min into the trip. O well. The collecting was pretty good, got some new plants for our collections. Lunch was at the buffet- the shrimp was pretty good, i must have eaten a pound of fried shrimp. Back in BCS I went over to Christy's bugging out deal for kids and helped clean up. Aubrey and I went back to her place so we could change her tire. I took a look at her spare and discovered that it had actual holes as in pieces of rubber missing in it. So that was a no go. We picked up josh and went to the chicken for dinner since he'd never been. The Aggie OSU game was on the radio so listened to that and watched the world series. After the Aggie victory in overtime the place errupted into song so aubrey and I joined in. I think josh thought we were crazy since one minute we were talking then mid sentance its "goodbye to texas university". O well, welcome to aggieland. We left shortly after that and went back to his place. the 3 of us looked at pictures and talked until 530am. It was definatly fun. The best though was locking aubrey in the cloest and turing off all the lights. After a couple min i stopped holding the door and backed away. After 30 sec or so she came running out into the darkness and started asking where we were. Josh flipped on the lights and she was looking right at us. She started screaming, it was definatly good times.

No comments: